Dealership makes successful move into the fleet market
Assisting in recruiting and coaching of a new dedicated Fleet Sales Executive, which lead to the successful result of 100 incremental van sales and a £100k return on investment for the franchised dealership.
A franchised dealership based in North West England historically sold small numbers of cars and vans to local businesses. These were mainly a result of inbound enquiries and they were not proactive as a dealership in seeking additional business. The dealership had a good reputation in its local market and wanted to increase sales to the local business community.
Our view was that in order to improve in Business Sales, the dealership should employ a dedicated Fleet Sales Executive. The market was large enough to sustain the cost and a good return on investment could be achieved fairly quickly. We would assist in recruiting the right individual and then provide weekly support to them and their management. The dealership had no experience of managing a Fleet Sales Executive, so our input was vital if the project was going to work.
Our coach successfully implemented a Business Sales Programme with the dealership. This involved on the job coaching of the Fleet Sales Executive, who was recruited from outside of the automotive industry. Coaching involved prospecting, conducting joint customer meetings, planning promotional activity, finance training, database management and product presentation. Key Performance Indicators were agreed with the dealership management and monitored on a daily/weekly basis.
Following this robust and effective process, the developments in both the Fleet Sales Executive and the dealership were:
- During a planned cycle of weekly visits, the Fleet Sales Executive gained the skills and confidence to build a database of prospective customers by carrying out planned telephone prospecting which we supported
- New customers were found quickly and they started to place orders with the dealership
- The Fleet Sales Executive successfully tendered for two new contracts with local housing associations, which resulted in orders for over 100 vans
- These vans were funded on contract hire so the dealership gained incremental aftersales revenue
- Total contribution to the dealership’s bottom line from the additional activity generated was in the region of £100k